Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Once a Upon a Time

One day when I was 5 years old, my grandmother, a manager of an exclusive dress shop, came home with a pirate's treasure in a paper bag.  In that bag were diamonds, emeralds, rubies, gold and silver.  All broken or returned jewelry from the store that couldnt be sold.  My, my did I have a good time.  For days, weeks, and months I played with these things.  I would dress up with all my jewels and play for hours.  Then I got a little older and discovered Wackers 5 &10 cent store and their diamond, emerald, and ruby rings.  Then F. W. Woolworth's made an appearance on the scene.  A new store for me to shop for the treasures of a lifetime.  More rubies, diamonds, and emerald rings, earring, brooches and last my not least bracelets and necklace sets. It was like I had a my summer days planned out.  I remember the rings and bracelets especially as I loved those the best.  I remember dressing up like a gypsy will all my jewelry, a long flowing skirt, a scarf around my head playing at telling fortunes for hours.  The rings cost 10 cents and 2 cent tax.  I would wear them until my entire finger was green, then I would clean the green off and paint the inside with clear nail polish I was good for another month.  One day my great grandmother was give me 25cents and we walked to town for her to pay a bill and me to spend my money.  It was a nice warm sunny morning about 9:15 a.m.(shops opened earlier then) and she gave my 25 cents on the corner of 4th and Grant and I was to meet her back at the corner in 30 minutes (I had to hurry there were so many to choose from) but I had my eye on this special ruby and brass ring so I ran off down the street.  My great grandmother told me that my money was burning a hole in my as I was fanning my hand all the way to Wackers almost at the end of the block.  She said she laughed so hard she nearly fainted.  But off I went running down the street to buy my special ruby ring and I thought I look just like a rich lady when we met back at the corner.  Wackers really had the prettiest rings I was sure of that as they nearly got all my money.  Visting with Brenda Sue at http://www.bsueboutiques.com/ this week made think of all the treasures I had access to at the time and the fun I had with my part of it.  Brenda Sue at http://www.bsueboutiques.com/ is having a Challenge: Five and Dime Challenge Part Two, Brooches and Earrings sets.  If you want go take a look at her website and get the idea and join the challenge.  She is a delightful person and really does some fine designs and her how to videos really inspire her.

No comments:

Post a Comment